Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A dual: pink eye vs. work

My musings for Wednesday...I apologize for rambling in this post, but there's only so much you can do with one workable eye.

I wore glasses to work today for the first time. I don't have a thing with wearing glasses, contacts are just easier. I'd rather avoid the nerdy clip on sunglasses and wear regular ones, I'd like to lean over my desk or pick something off the floor without my glasses sliding off, in which I am then forced to classically push them back up on my nose as if I am impersonating my English professor. However, glasses do come in handy sometimes-like when I want to look studious, or when I was Sarah Palin for Halloween (circa her pageant years, see below), but for the most part, I'm a contacts-kind-of-gal.

(Picture from Halloween 2008- a glasses wearing Sarah Palin on Left, Bonnie, from Bonnie and Clyde, on Right. Bonnie also goes by Chelsea, as in creative Chelsea from Design a la mod. Geez, I'm in such a promotional mood these past few days, just shows how much I love her blog! And her, of course.)


Anyway. The reason I am wearing glasses today is because my left eye thought it would be cool to peace out and let red eye substitute indefinitely...it looks like a permanent red firecracker went off and froze in mid explosion. While one eye is weepy, red, and going through bouts of intense twitching, the other eye is completely normal. Needless to say, I'm attracting a lot of (unwanted) attention.

In between left eye spasms I complained to a friend via AIM:

Me: I mean I wish I just had pink eye instead of some unknown problem. Then I could stay home for like 3 days.
Her: Oh that would be so nice...

Which got me thinking. We would take pink eye--the gooey, swollen, wake up with your eye crusted (ew, don't you just hate that word!?) shut, itchy, severely contagious pink eye--over work. I couldn't help but wonder (why hello Carrie Bradshaw tag line) at what point did the idea of work cross over from boring to 'I'll take a dose of pink eye, thank you.' ?

So, I snapped out of it. The only way I would take pink eye over work would be if AIM friend contracted pink eye at the same time and we could have a quarantined slumber party for three days.









post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment